Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Make it Rain


There's a new one. A man different than any other I've ever been attracted to. He doesn't look homeless, isn't over-bearingly artistic, has neatly trimmed hair and doesn't slam whiskey at the bar.

I met him the same night I met moped guy. At the time, he was bench-pressing skinny models and offending lesbians at the SoHo Grand Hotel. So naturally, I found the unusual one in the room typically charming. We laughed, partied then off I ran with the doomed sex-less date. In fact, as I held hands to depart with the moped guy, this SoHo guy grabbed my hand, and tried to dissuade me from leaving with the stranger as he thought it was not a good idea. I found it effortlessly caring of him; it was almost brother-like, the interest he took in my soon-to-be where-abouts. I should have listened.

About a week ago I was having a really bad day. One of those rough, confusing, hormone-enduced depression-filled days. As I melted into my couch exhausted, bloated, hungry, angry... my phone rang. It was the SoHo guy. Absent of any self worth or normative decency, I spilled my pathetic guts to the unassuming pursuer, and I was alright with it. Once again, the distance lead to a certain closeness and immediate comfort with fragility.

The conversation continued, up and down, side to side, for what seemed like a few minutes, but really was about three hours. I haven't experienced such challenging, fun, stimulationg conversation in god knows how long. We definitely have a mental connection, yet there is one problem... he's wealthy. Correction, loaded. I know, I know... "Why is that a problem?!" I feel as though those raised with luxury, stability and ease lack a true understanding of the world around them. No matter how "open minded" a silver-spoon-fed person may claim to be, you can never truly learn to be emotionally self-sufficient because everything was always so easy. Not to mention I feel incredibly threatened and resentful towards them. And okay... a little jealous too.

Long story, long, he's courting me. Yes, he calls it courting. A 28 year old. Un-ironically.

He is really trying to impress me: I mention I don't have a coffee machine, a box shows up at my house with a coffee grinder, french press and Intelligentsia coffee (his favorite). I say my day is a little rough, he sends flowers and a teddy bear to the office. I'm in Vegas with friends, he offers to buy $100 tickets to see Cirque du Soliel with my friends.

I know, what's wrong with me, right? Why am I not in love with this guy?

Well, I'm keeping things going, he's visiting L.A. in a few weeks, then I'm going to NY for work.

More to come. Millions more.

No comments:

Post a Comment